ZAR data recovery forum This forum is the official point of contact for technical questions related to Zero Assumption Software products. Ordering-related questions should be directed here. The forum is monitored 13:00 - 20:00 GMT on working days. Current time is 05:55 GMT, Tuesday.

Go Back   ZAR data recovery forum > Data recovery & support > ZAR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ZAR ZAR-related questions. Digital image recovery; General data recovery (filesystems and RAIDs).

Old 26th July 2011

Default Can ZAR recover large (over 4GB) files?

Long story short, I have an NTFS partition which has had all the data deleted. It is NOT formatted, just deleted. Amongst the deleted files is a specific HDV (High Definition Video) file (extension .m2t) which is around 11-12GB in size, and I want to get it back.

Since the data was deleted, I have not written ANY new data to the drive. I have tried other recovery software, and it did indeed find the filename and its folder location, but it reported the filesize as zero. I checked, that software reported every over-4GB file as zero filesize. Smaller files recovered perfectly.

Then, I did some research, during which I read about how files over 4GB are handled differently by NTFS than under 4GB. My question - can ZAR handle this? Assuming that the data is all 100% present somewhere on the drive, should ZAR be able to find it?

I am currently running a scan on the trial version, but it's a 1TB drive so it will take a while, and if someone tells me that the 4GB is a limit on this software too, then I will stop the scan.

Thanks.
Old 26th July 2011
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Alexey V. Gubin
Default Re: Can ZAR recover large (over 4GB) files?

The file size itself is not an issue.

There are limits correlated with file size, like if the file is heavily fragmented (more than 64K fragments) it will not be recovered. Large files are more prone to this.

Also, make sure that whatever target you are writing files to does support large files (FAT filesystem does not).