ZAR data recovery forum This forum is the official point of contact for technical questions related to Zero Assumption Software products. Ordering-related questions should be directed here. The forum is monitored 13:00 - 20:00 GMT on working days. Current time is 11:10 GMT, Saturday.

Go Back   ZAR data recovery forum > Data recovery & support > ZAR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ZAR ZAR-related questions. Digital image recovery; General data recovery (filesystems and RAIDs).

Old 10th May 2007
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Alexey V. Gubin
Lightbulb Photo recovery: Unable to open recovered images, images corrupt, or thumbnails only

In case a digital image recovery run brings some files, but part or all of these files
  • Fail to open (various error messages e.g. "Invalid SOI marker").
  • Have the thumbnails OK but fail to open in full size.
  • Are visibly distorted (e.g. only upper part of the image OK).
There is basically nothing we can do. If the image files are fragmented on the card, we cannot re-assemble fragments back into the complete and correct image.

In this case, you should try the "Simple volume recovery" mode, which may or may not achieve better results. If this fails as well, there is nothing else we can do.

Last edited by Alexey V. Gubin : 11th April 2009 at 02:33.
Old 5th June 2007

Default Re: Photo recovery: Unable to open recovered images, images corrupt, or thumbnails on

when viewing photos in camera, suddenly says "caution, erasing all". when memory card taken to kiosk, says "no pictures". when trying to download to PC, says "unable to read" or "not possible". sometimes on camera, says "card error" photos can be seen on the camera, but starts erasing while viewing.
Old 5th June 2007

Default Re: Photo recovery: Unable to open recovered images, images corrupt, or thumbnails on

I'm sorry. I thought I already replied. I'm having trouble getting the pictures off my camera. I can't print at a kiosk or download to my PC. While viewing pictures in the camera it starts erasing them.
Old 5th June 2007
Administrator

1. Remove card from the camera. You need a card reader device. Insert the card into the card reader.
2. Run ZAR as illustrated at http://www.z-a-recovery.com/demo-ir.htm
This may or may not work depending on the card reader model and damage type. If this does not work, report back with specific details (what was done and what problem is encountered).
Old 18th October 2007

Hi All-
I am new in this forum. So, bear with me. My Olympus D560 wants me to reformat the chip with 98 pictures on it. I downloaded ZAR, which transfered the files, but I can't open them. I am not sure I followed all the directions on how to use ZAR recovery software. Any advice? Thanks, geemc
Old 19th October 2007
Administrator

This is most likely caused by the fragmentation of the image files (see details). This is not something we can recover with current technology.

The proper procedure is to try both recovery modes available, as described here
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/demo-ir.htm
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/unformat-tutorial.htm

If neither of these recovers files correctly, we are out of options.

Last edited by Alexey V. Gubin : 11th April 2009 at 02:35.
Old 15th November 2007

I did the trial run at work (while researching drive recovery / forensics products for a work project) and saved the data in order to finish recovering the drive at home. When I paid for the program and installed the key - I loaded the file I had saved from work and while it appeared the files were recovered, NONE of the pictures would open (it gave an error message that it was not the same set up although I had ignored the warning). Zar also locked up and I got the threading error others have received. I tried running the entire thing again from the start and recovery went very well and recovered all (as far as I could tell) of my pictures and documents (and they opened fine) and I did not receive an error.
Old 17th October 2008

Question Re: Photo recovery: Unable to open recovered images, images corrupt, or thumbnails on

I seemed to have recovered my images from my camera, but I am unable to open any of the images. I continue to get an error message. I was reading through some of the postings, and it says you should use a card reader to recover your photos. Is this more successful than trying to use your camera as an external device?
Old 17th October 2008
Administrator

Card reader is useful when
  • You cannot get ZAR to recognize camera
  • A "physical" (bad block) problem is suspected
  • ZAR locks up when scanning using camera, or the entire system crashes during scan
other than that, card reader does not provide any benefit.

I do not think it will help in your case. If you tried both
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/demo-ir.htm
and
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/unformat-tutorial.htm
with no positive results, then there is nothing else we can do.
Old 22nd October 2008

zar gave me a list of over 700 images in jpeg but when i click it says no preview available...they are between 1.5 and 4 mb in size...anything i am doing wrong?